Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 00: Patience and the Nature of Plans

July 25, 2011 - Still haven't left yet; but I really have no worries. We leave when we leave; this is Bruce's trip and I'm tagging along to make sure he doesn't get into too much trouble without me. Besides, it is far better to make sure that everything is working or packed properly instead of breaking down in Canada or realizing you forgot important things in the rush.

I myself am completely packed and ready to go. This is both a blessing and a curse for me. As of now, I am living out of my luggage while I stay at Bruce's house in preparation for the trip. Not too bad; I've had it worse during my time in the military.

The one thing with a flexible schedule in this trip is the things that are not flexible. There's always something that has to be done in route to any vacation, no matter how flexible it is meant to be. As it is now, we are considering cutting time in some areas to spend more time in others. Not really a problem honestly.

One of Bruce's favorite sayings goes similar to this "the best laid plans..." He doesn't really finish the statement because it's one of the givens in life: No matter how well planed something can be, something small can ruin it completely. In order to combat this, Bruce and I use the term "Rigid Flexibility" to describe our way of thinking (perhaps more precise is his way of thinking which he is patiently teaching me).

In a nutshell; plan your events, but know that something is going to change them. Learn to adapt quickly and have the tools to make a new plan on the go. Nothing is written in stone and should be able to be changed if needed.

Our plan is to head out tomorrow. I'll keep an open mind and continue working hard to make sure Bruce is ready to go...what are friends for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Top Menu